Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Got back just an hour or so ago from the company softball game. Down a couple of key players for a number of reasons, I took the mound as our new starting pitcher, and got the win. I had a couple of hits and RBI but really got into one and almost homered, which would've been nice. The weather's starting to change, and it makes for a great time outside even though our start time was pretty late (9:30! I know, I'm old!)

The real point of this post is to point you toward a fantastic new young artist: Melissa Cartoun. She posted something on Facebook, which alerted me to the release of this first real studio album of hers. After immediately purchasing it, I've been listening to it quite a bit and it's great stuff. It's that folk/pop female blend that channels the Indigo Girls, Sarah McLachlan, Shawn Colvin, etc. Very good songwriting and just an awesome voice, and solid production for being her own solo 'indie' release. The album can be purchased here. Even if you're not a fan of the genre, this is good stuff. Trust me...or not, as you can hear song samples by clicking on that link as well.

Hearing this album takes me back to the good ol' Vanderbilt Music Society days on campus, organizing various events and running the types of shows where Melissa would come and wow everybody. Sometimes you see somebody perform and realize that this is what they were born to do. That Imogen Heap YouTube video I've posted on here is a moment like that, just like the Prince "Musicology" Leno performance I've posted on here as well. Melissa's moving into that realm and it's only a matter of time until she's got the backing she deserves. I would say "she'll be on a major label" but who knows whether that's a plus or not anymore. But she'll be fine if she keeps producing stuff like this, so check it out.