Monday, April 07, 2008

Going through change isn't an easy process. Right now, I'm in the middle of switching jobs - a strange but exciting process.

The past three years have had a lot of highs and lows. There are people of wisdom and strength I left behind, and I thank God for those individuals who have made a positive impact on my life and provided an example of leadership, courage, and dedication to a great purpose.

Honoring greatness is easy, though. Forgiving those without wisdom or leadership is much, much harder. But that's why we forgive - because we hope to be forgiven.

The world is full of opportunity. Even in a recession, this is still the United States of America, a place where mediocrity and laziness are always rejected in favor of something better. I look forward to finding that over the coming weeks. There certainly is never a shortage of demand for people who are willing to combine skills with sweat in looking for a better way to do business.

Looking back, I think every new graduate entering the job market probably thinks "I'll be here forever" when they sign on to that new job. I know that, under a couple of key different circumstances and outcomes, I could've been at my first employer for an entire career, which is startling to think about but certainly true. Accepting ambiguity that comes in the business world, and learning to stake out a clear direction from that haze, is a skill that can only come from dealing with situations like this. Where potential for greatness exists, it has to be pursued at all costs by every single person in an organization in order to even have a chance. These are lessons I will carry forward with me now for the rest of my life.

I will still continue, of course, to carry the torch of our philanthropic efforts with the iTest and other initiatives. Continuing to give back, with this year's Tournament of Champions about to crown a new National Champion, and with the planning necessary for a successful 2008 iTest in September, isn't negotiable and certainly isn't at the discretion of my former employer to negatively impact. It's not going to be easy to balance the non-profit's needs with my own job search, but I didn't start doing it because it was going to be easy!

And yes, I will even continue to faithfully watch American Idol as David Archuleta relentlessly marches to victory (even despite David Cook's awesomeness).

So, I guess what I'm saying is...life goes on.