Wednesday, March 30, 2005

I finally got over to Blair earlier this week to practice the piano for the first time in literally 4-5 months. Fortunately, the rust came off easily, and I had fun just wasting a couple of hours toying around with a new composition I came up with that I really like. I've been storing up several different pieces for the next album I put together, which unfortunately may not occur for another 2 years. But it will happen someday, you can count on that. Its just too much fun to be in the studio working on music. I really miss it.

I've been on an 80's kick over the past month, and I don't really know why. Part of it is Napoleon Dynamite's 80's slant, which has reminded me just how effective a consistent, coherent soundtrack that uses songs that all have the same musical textures can really work to give a plot or story a solid infrastructure. The "square" synths used in most of the songs in that movie (excluding Jack White's "I Think We're Gonna Be Friends" at the beginning) really work to give the movie a listless, nostalgic feel that stays with you long after the movie's over.

Here are the songs I downloaded off iTunes in this 80's rediscovery. Don't laugh too hard. Many of these I remember listening to in the car with my mom when I was 6 or 7. Weird how entire musical periods of time - not just individual songs - come back to you at unexpected times.

Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper (of Napoleon Dynamite fame)
Kyrie - Mr. Mister (amazing voice)
Oh Sherrie - Steve Perry
Running to Stand Still - U2 (very moving tune)
Sara - Jefferson Airplane (stop laughing!)
Missing You - John Waite
Islands in the Stream - Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers (a weird song, admittedly...but this is one that evokes all sorts of memories of being at home growing up)
We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome) - Tina Turner (a really dark 80's tune, and a good one)
Money For Nothing - Dire Straits
Sailing - Christopher Cross (no idea at all why I like this song, but I do)
Pride (In the Name of Love) - U2 (no description necessary. bona fide classic.)


If you compare the laundry list of 80's one hit wonders vs. the 90's one hit wonders, the 80's narrowly edges out the 90's in terms of sheer musical scope and lasting power. But when you also compare the bands from the 80's that have maintained strong careers over time with bands from the 90's that have done the same, its no contest. The 80's was a remarkable period of popular music, covering all sorts of new ground and musical landscapes.

Thankfully, the 00's are largely shaping up to be like the 80's in terms of variety. Lets hope it continues.