Friday, March 11, 2005

Spending spring break here in Knoxville with Lori...

Its been a great week! Lori got the internship she wanted with the Tennessee Supreme Court, which is HUGE. Its tough enough to get any job the summer after first year of law school, but there are a few select plum jobs to be had. This is one of those. Congrats, L.

This week for me has been a mix of pure relaxation and looking ahead. AHSIMC iTest registration packets headed out to over 2400 schools across the United States this week, and next week will be busy with the beginning of the registration period. I have continued to write test questions, get the 2005 results database created, concoct a system of organization for the entire process once again, and even do a little bit of publicity for the 2005 competition this week. So I have managed to get at least a little bit of work done.

I have definitely gotten my gameage on this week, as you might have expected. I have logged several hours playing Resident Evil 4 on GameCube, and finally finished it last night. What a spectacular experience. Calling RE4 a "game" is misleading - this is an epic work on a massive Hollywood blockbuster scale. The gameplay is simple to learn and builds slowly, but some of the stuff the designers pulled off in the latter half of the game is just stunningly brilliant. It is, perhaps, the greatest single player video game of all time.

I've also been playing liberal amounts of Halo 2 and ESPN MLB 2K5 on XBox Live, as I won 2 of 3 matches against Dave this week in the ESPN baseball game. Only $20, a BIG steal if you're looking for a baseball game. I'm also working on finishing up FF1 in the Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls GBA game that Lori gave me for Valentine's Day just under a month ago.

Fantasy baseball is well underway, with the draft of one of my leagues occurring Thursday night, and the draft for Evan's league on Monday. The main event, however, is Wednesday night's kickoff to our perennial fantasy baseball league with my friends from high school. Having lost last year's championship by the slimmest of margins - a single hit! - I'm looking forward to the start of a new season.

Finally, I'm happy to report that I have started actually READING BOOKS AGAIN!!! I rifled through Jose Canseco's steroid tribute "Juiced," and now am on to Jared Diamond's follow-up to the critically-acclaimed "Guns, Germs, and Steel" ... which is called "Collapse." Good stuff so far...hope to finish it late next week, though it might be a bit ambitious with the start of the final mod of business school.