Sunday, November 25, 2007

From Jeff Fisher's press conference earlier today, after getting annihilated by the Cincinnati Bengals:

"I certainly didn't see this one coming..."

Umm, why not?

Verbatim from my July 24 Titans 2007 Predictions, given by me to the Coach himself:

Week 12 (@ Cincinnati): LOSS. Blown out as Chad Johnson has 150 yard, 2 TD; Rudi has 2 TD.

Chad Johnson actually had 12 receptions (career high) for 103 yards and 3 touchdowns, while Rudi had 88 rushing yards and 1 score...but hey, I can't be expected to be perfect! Especially 4+ months ago!

Sadly, I got the main part right: Titans BLOWN OUT.

My predictions end in the Titans going 10-6 on the year, which I think is quite doable if the Titans crack the whip, get some production out of special teams, and get Albert Haynesworth back on the field.

The only question then becomes: is 10-6 good enough to make the playoffs in the AFC?

Instincts say yeah, it is. Better get it done, Titans.

And Coach Fisher is still the man, as everyone knows he's still as smart today as he was yesterday, but he's got to get ANGRY. I saw a little bit of the anger in today's press conference, so let's hope he's willing and able to communicate the urgency of the situation to the rest of the team.

Terminate the employment of any players and assistant coaches as necessary to drive home this intolerance of mediocrity.

And then, send LenWhale to the bottom of the RB depth chart. Oh, and lest I forget, require that Vince Young have at least two rushing first downs per game, because his rushing for first downs has been a big missing ingredient all year.

On a somewhat related closing note: forget Albert Haynesworth's absence for a moment, and consider how much we miss Pac Man Jones in the secondary.