Saturday, December 08, 2007

I'm not real interested in having a second-straight political post in this blog, but I pretty much have to after seeing Oprah's endorsement of Barack Obama today.

Two key excerpts:

“There are times that I even worry about what happens to our country,” Winfrey said, standing on a small stage before a sea of people in the 100,000-square-foot hall. “That is why for the very first time in my life I feel compelled to stand up and speak out for the man who I believe has a new vision for America.”

“Over the years, I have voted for as many Republicans as I have Democrats,” Winfrey said — one line that didn’t draw applause in the partisan crowd. “This isn’t about partisanship for me. This is very, very personal. I’m here because of my personal conviction about Barack Obama and what I know he can do for America.”


When you're discussing Oprah Winfrey, you're talking about someone who has pretty much re-written the rules of modern media in turning a daytime talk show into something approximating a social movement. Oprah's followers are as loyal as any demagogue's, and Oprah's endorsement alone carries immense weight. If she rejects you on the air, you're pretty much done.

It's the reward for a life full of risks and having as big of a heart as she has a brain. She may very well be the most powerful person in the United States, which is a remarkable thing to even consider.

Does Oprah's endorsement really mean anything, politically? Yeah, it means a WHOLE LOT.

Obama's Presidential chances receive a breath of fresh air and new momentum. Obama's chances of being a Vice-Presidential candidate, in the event he does not receive the Dems nomination, just got a whole lot better.

Oprah attacks the rip on Obama that he's too young, and that he's not experienced enough to be President. Of course, this 'inexperience' argument against Obama is laughable. If Presidents were able to run for a third term, would anyone be arguing that George W. Bush's eight years of Presidential experience means he's more fit for the job than someone with none? In plenty of cases, experience means little.

This is about ideas, potential, and upside. We've all witnessed situations where people with "experience" have no business moving forward or even being considered for positions or levels in which they simply don't fit.

Oprah's comments on how personal this election has become for her are very interesting to me. I'm not a big fan of the ridiculous games that pass for election tactics in this country and I really try to spend as little time as possible caring about elections at any level. But I am fascinated that someone as illustrious as Oprah Winfrey has now come out of the woodwork and sounded the alarm.

Good for Obama. This will help. With me personally, it automatically validates him and makes him someone I'll watch now, whereas before he was "just another candidate."

Bad for Bush. Here's the human form of charity and morality itself, essentially calling out the President as disgracing the country. Yeah, that's actually REALLY bad.

And good for Oprah. It takes courage and conviction to risk her almighty pedestal she sits on to come out and endorse a candidate for President, because this nation is just completely nuts regarding political issues and discourse.

I applaud the effort. Even people who aren't fans of Obama now have to stand up and pay attention to what's happened today.