Monday, May 12, 2008

I'm a huge Jeff Fisher fan, so not a surprise that I was perusing the information earlier today regarding the Coach's annual softball game out at Greer Stadium (home of the Nashville Sounds).

Typical press release...but one particular line caught my eye:

General Admission is $10 and reserved seats are $15. Tickets for children 12 and under are $6. Tickets are on sale now through the Nashville Sounds ticket office or by calling 615-242-4371. Show your KrogerPlus card, Military or Student ID and get $1 off. For additional information, please visit the Nashville Sounds’ web site at: www.nashvillesounds.com.

I could make a comment about $1 off being practically worthless thanks to inflation, but no. Actually, what made me pause was the parity in benefit between our valued military service men and women and KROGERPLUS CARD HOLDERS.

So let me get this straight ... taking bullets for our country earns the same benefit as walking into a local grocery store and filling out a piece of paper to get a KrogerPlus card.

I'm completely ignoring the students part of the discount, in honor of students pretty much ignoring everything, including class.

Whatever. I can make fun of something that is actually one of the best fundraisers in town, and certainly one of the more creative, entertaining ones. And, of course, it signals the impending start of another NFL season. Initial projections have the Titans surpassing last year's record - right now I've got them at 12-4 - but a lot can change between now and the start of training camp.

Changing subjects briefly, heard a great new band recently called Paramore. I know they're pretty well known among people who are better music fans than me, but their new song/video ("That's What You Get") is good stuff. Check it out.