Friday, November 21, 2003

Found out last week my grandmother has stage IV lung cancer, as well as colon cancer and breast cancer. Likely, the cancer developed in part of the body and has just spread everywhere. She won't live long, but hopefully this Thanksgiving will be a great time to be with her and the rest of my family. I don't even want to think about it, she's been such an incredible person in my life. I just hope I am able to visit enough from Nashville down to Birmingham while she's still here.

I am headed down to Auburn this afternoon to stay at Airport House with the guys. Mark is coming in from Atlanta, and Ben and Steven will be coming over from Tuscaloosa for the big game...THE IRON BOWL. Auburn should crush Alabama easily, if they play well. They've been back-and-forth all season, so we'll see what happens.

I'll come back to Birmingham Monday and get some schoolwork done, as well as fixing my car. Lori will fly in from Nashville Wednesday night, and will get to spend Thanksgiving with me and my family! We'll head back to Nashville together on Friday.

My trip to Auburn today has been delayed by a meeting with a lawyer over at the Vandy Law School regarding the new label venture that me and two other Owen guys (Kris and Quentin) are starting up. This will be of substantially larger scope than the label I started in college, though we may retain the Mariner Records name. The premise around which the label will operate is a killer idea and we should be able to convince some experienced music industry folks to come on board, as well as VC to lend us some help as well.

Curiously enough, the person in charge of all music retail for Best Buy was an Owen graduate...one of several contacts in the industry that the three of us have discovered in the short time we've been planning this venture.

I'm extremely excited. Although I can't go into the details here, I am beginning to see exactly how a future in music can lead the way to making some great money right out of grad school, and lead to even larger plans.