Thursday, January 03, 2008

2007 was a good, but not great, year. It's easy to be hazed over by the joy of buying a first home, Lori's successful completion of the Bar Exam and subsequent beginning of her career, and our most successful iTest year to date. The year had these things, and constantly threatened to break out into much wilder success, but it didn't happen.

Was very fortunate to identify and negotiate a deal with our 2007 iTest Title Sponsor, but we were unable to locate the additional funding I thought would come after a phenomenally successful and critically-lauded iTest competition. No philanthropic parents stepped forward, and no other corporations familiar with the iTest joined in and contributed, despite numerous leads.

I simply call this a test of endurance, but still...2008 has a lot of room to improve here.

Even worse, I feel like I've grown complacent. I accept mediocrity far too often and I don't strive for the best possible outcome nearly enough.

Besides the iTest, there's a lot of room to grow within my own career, room to take on new side projects, room to forge new business partnerships, room to grow personally and become a better Christian, and room to do more. Much, much more.

Personally, while as I stated in my previous post, I feel so lucky and blessed to be where I am, and I know Lori feels the same way. But there is a long way to go.

Thus, the following resolutions for the New Year, and may this year be a successful one that takes the next step toward realizing the promise that was created in 2007 and in the years before.

1) Get back in shape.

I began training immediately after Christmas for the Music City Half-Marathon, which takes place in late April 2008. I've made getting back in great physical shape a top priority of the new year, and I'm happy to say I'm well on my way. Running on the treadmill here in the basement level as well as some strength work will give way in late February/early March to running outside as I approach the 13-14 mile length of the race.

I am aiming to run the whole thing, and I think it's an attainable goal (I'm already at running 3 miles now, with 4 months to go). But if I have to walk some of it, that's OK. It's about reclaiming my physical conditioning much more than it is about a single event in April.

2) Write a book.

I have also begun, in that quiet week between Christmas and New Year's, writing a book. I adamantly refuse to disclose any details about it until it's finished (it's about 30% complete already) except to say it will leverage my iTest credentials and the topic is something I've been thinking about for at least the past couple of years as I've observed and communicated with countless high school students around the country who have participated in the iTest.

Much more on this to come down the road. I'd like to be finished by March/April but I don't know yet if that's realistic. Certainly, by the fall, it'll be done.

3) Become a better Christian.

Covered this a bit in my last post. Lori and I have visited churches in the area of our new home, but we haven't settled on "our" church, which will be an important first step of 2008. Then, it'll be about getting into that routine of regular attendance that we both desperately want.

But this resolution is deeper than just that routine. It's about a frame of mind that I used to have that I've moved away from, that I need to rediscover. Nothing of worth will be accomplished by either of us if we aren't fully cognizant and appreciative of God's blessings in our lives.


That's it. Those are the three resolutions for this year. I expect to be held to this standard so feel free to call me on these.

The book, in particular, has got me excited because it's high time to venture into the world of media once again, for the first time since the release of my piano instrumental disc back in 2004.

I'm thankful to be able to have this sort of focus as the year starts up. With a little bit of dedication, I'm confident these three things will guide a successful and prosperous 2008.