Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Haven't had a chance to write a year-end post yet, but it's coming. I did want to quickly write about the trip home today from work...

My drive to and from work is prime music time, and with a couple of new CDs for Christmas, it's actually prime "new music" time. Seal's new CD is pretty lackluster, making it his first that I haven't really enjoyed all the way through since his very first one, although there are a couple of great tracks on there.

But MercyMe's new CD is solid - this band just knows how to make good music, even without the Christian element to it. But that's not all...the very last song really caught me by surprise.

A sweeping, introspective piece called "Finally Home" concludes the album and is easily the best song on the disc. This is what makes this band great - they refuse to become the same cliched Christian praise stuff that's been rehashed a zillion times, and keep producing authentic, heartfelt, wonderfully-executed songs like this one. Although this one is certainly among the best song they've written, if not the best.

One of my New Year's Resolutions, which I'll be covering in some depth in my next post, is to go to be a better Christian. For me, this has a number of ramifications, of whicih one of the lesser ones is to spend more time listening to praise music such as this.

With a tremendous amount of resources now at my disposal, and more blessings than anyone would ever expect, I tend to stray away from my Christian beliefs way too often. Making a conscientious effort to be a better Christian is a major 2008 priority.

More to come on this later, but for now, check out this song (regardless of your religion). You'll be glad you did. This is sheer musical excellence.


MercyMe - "Finally Home"

I'm gonna wrap my arms around my daddy's neck
Tell him that I've missed him
Tell him about the man that I became
And hope that it pleased him

There's so much I want to say
There's so much I wanted you to know

When I finally make it home
When I finally make it home

Then I gaze upon the throne of the King
Frozen in my steps
And all the questions I swore I would ask
Words just won't come yet

So amazing what I've seen
So much more than this old mind can hold

When I finally make it home
When I finally make it home

And the sweetest sound my ears have yet to hear
The voices of the angels

When I finally make it home
When I finally make it home